From Snout to Tail: The 10-Point Health Check Every Pet Parent Needs to Know
从头到尾:每位宠物主人都需要知道的10点健康自查
We all love those quiet moments on the couch.
我们都喜欢在沙发上度过那些安静的时刻。
You know the ones. You’re scratching behind your dog’s ears or stroking your cat’s back, and everything feels right in the world.
你懂的那种时刻。你在挠狗狗的耳朵后面,或者抚摸猫咪的背,感觉世界上一切都很美好。
But did you know that these cuddle sessions are actually the perfect opportunity for a health inspection?
但你知道吗,这些拥抱的时间其实是进行健康检查的绝佳机会?
Here at My Core Pick, we believe that you are the most important person on your pet's medical team.
在 My Core Pick,我们坚信你是宠物医疗团队中最重要的一员。
You see them every day. You know their quirks, their energy levels, and their favorite spots to be scratched.
你每天都能见到它们。你知道它们的怪癖、它们的精力水平以及它们最喜欢被挠哪里。
Veterinarians are amazing, but they only see your pet once or twice a year.
兽医虽然很棒,但他们一年只看你的宠物一两次。
By the time a vet spots a lump or a dental issue, it might have been developing for months.
等到兽医发现肿块或牙齿问题时,可能已经发展了好几个月了。
That is why we advocate for the "Snout to Tail" check.
这就是为什么我们提倡“从头到尾”的检查。
It is a simple, 10-point home exam that takes about five minutes.
这是一项简单的10点家庭检查,大约只需要五分钟。
Doing this weekly can help you catch issues early, save on vet bills, and potentially save your pet’s life.
每周做一次可以帮助你及早发现问题,节省兽医费用,甚至可能挽救你宠物的生命。
Let’s dive into how to become your pet’s best health advocate.
让我们深入探讨如何成为宠物最好的健康守护者。
Setting the Stage for Success

为成功做好准备

Before we start poking and prodding, we need to set the mood.
在我们要开始按按捏捏之前,我们需要营造好氛围。
If you try to force an exam when your dog is hyper or your cat is napping, it won’t go well.
如果你在狗狗极度兴奋或猫咪正在打盹时强行检查,效果不会好。
Pick a time when your pet is naturally relaxed.
选择一个宠物自然放松的时间。
I usually do this after an evening walk or during a calm Sunday morning.
我通常在晚间散步后或安静的周日早晨做这件事。
Make sure the lighting in the room is good so you can see details clearly.
确保房间光线充足,以便你看清细节。
Keep a bag of high-value treats nearby.
在手边准备一袋高价值的零食。
You want your pet to associate this handling with positive rewards.
你希望你的宠物将这种接触与积极的奖励联系起来。
If at any point they get stressed or growl, stop immediately.
如果它们在任何时候感到压力或发出低吼,请立即停止。
We want to build trust, not fear.
我们想要建立信任,而不是恐惧。
Once they are calm, we start at the front and work our way back.
一旦它们平静下来,我们就从前面开始,一路向后检查。
Zone 1: The Head and Face

区域 1:头部和脸部
The head is where many common ailments begin.
许多常见疾病都始于头部。
From dental disease to infections, the face tells a story.
从牙科疾病到感染,脸部能说明很多问题。
1. The Snout Check
1. 鼻子检查
Start right at the tip of the nose.
从鼻尖开始。
There is a common myth that a dry nose means a sick dog, but that isn't always true.
有一个常见的误区认为鼻子干意味着狗狗病了,但这并不总是真的。
Temperature and hydration levels fluctuate throughout the day.
温度和水分含量全天都在波动。
However, you should look for cracks, crustiness, or sores.
但是,你应该留意裂纹、结痂或溃疡。
Check for discharge. Clear liquid is usually fine, but yellow, green, or bubbling mucus is a red flag.
检查是否有分泌物。清澈的液体通常没事,但黄色、绿色或起泡的粘液是危险信号。
Listen to their breathing. Is it silent, or is there a whistle or wheeze coming from the nostrils?
听听它们的呼吸声。是安静的,还是鼻孔里发出了哨音或喘息声?
2. Bright and Clear Eyes
2. 明亮清澈的眼睛
Look deeply into your pet’s eyes.
深情地注视你宠物的眼睛。
The whites of the eyes (sclera) should be white, not red or yellow.
眼白(巩膜)应该是白色的,不能是红色或黄色的。
The pupils should be the same size.
瞳孔大小应该一致。
Watch out for cloudiness or a bluish haze, which could indicate cataracts or nuclear sclerosis in older pets.
留意混浊或蓝色的雾状物,这在老年宠物身上可能预示着白内障或核硬化。
Check the corners of the eyes for gunk.
检查眼角是否有分泌物。
A little "sleep" crust is normal, but excessive tearing or green discharge warrants a vet visit.
一点点“眼屎”是正常的,但过多的眼泪或绿色分泌物就需要看兽医了。
If they are squinting or pawing at an eye, that is an immediate concern.
如果它们眯着眼或用爪子抓眼睛,这是需要立即关注的问题。
3. The Ear Inspection
3. 耳朵检查
Flip those ears over and take a look inside.
把耳朵翻过来看看里面。
The skin inside the ear should be light pink and clean.
耳朵里面的皮肤应该是浅粉色且干净的。
If it looks angry, red, or inflamed, you might be dealing with an infection.
如果看起来发红、发炎或肿胀,你可能面临着感染问题。
Look for dark, coffee-ground-like debris. This is a classic sign of ear mites.
留意深色、像咖啡渣一样的碎屑。这是耳螨的典型迹象。
Now, take a sniff.
现在,闻一下。
I know it sounds weird, but healthy ears shouldn't smell like much.
我知道这听起来很奇怪,但健康的耳朵不应该有什么味道。
If they smell like yeast or old socks, there is likely a fungal or bacterial issue brewing.
如果闻起来像酵母或旧袜子,很可能有真菌或细菌问题在酝酿。
4. Mouth and Teeth
4. 口腔和牙齿
Lift the lips and check those chompers.
掀起嘴唇检查牙齿。
Dental disease is the number one health issue in pets over age three.
牙科疾病是三岁以上宠物面临的头号健康问题。
Look for yellow or brown tartar buildup near the gumline.
留意牙龈线附近的黄色或褐色牙垢堆积。
Check the gums themselves. They should be a healthy bubblegum pink (unless your pet has naturally pigmented black spots).
检查牙龈本身。它们应该是健康的泡泡糖粉色(除非你的宠物天生有黑色素沉淀斑点)。
Press your finger gently on the gum and release.
用手指轻轻按压牙龈然后松开。
The white spot should turn back to pink within two seconds. This is called the Capillary Refill Time test.
变白的地方应该在两秒钟内恢复粉色。这叫做毛细血管再充盈时间测试。
If the gums are pale, white, or bright red, call your vet.
如果牙龈苍白、发白或鲜红色,请致电兽医。
And finally, check for broken teeth or bleeding.
最后,检查是否有断牙或出血。
Zone 2: The Core and Coat
区域 2:躯干和皮毛
Moving down the body, we are looking for structural changes and skin health.
顺着身体往下,我们要观察结构变化和皮肤健康。
This is the part that feels most like a massage to your pet.
这部分对你的宠物来说最像是在按摩。
5. Skin and Coat Quality
5. 皮肤和皮毛质量
Run your hands flat against your pet’s body, going against the grain of the fur if possible.
手掌放平贴着宠物的身体抚摸,如果可能的话逆着毛发方向。
You are feeling for lumps, bumps, scabs, or mats.
你是在寻找肿块、隆起、结痂或毛结。
Part the fur in a few places to look at the skin.
拨开几处的毛发看看皮肤。
Is it flaky? Is it oily?
有皮屑吗?油腻吗?
Keep an eye out for flea dirt, which looks like tiny black pepper specks.
留意跳蚤粪便,看起来像黑胡椒粉末。
If you find a lump, don't panic. Many dogs develop benign fatty tumors called lipomas.
如果你发现肿块,不要惊慌。许多狗狗会长出良性的脂肪瘤。
However, you should make a note of where it is and how big it is (compare it to a pea, a grape, or a golf ball).
但是,你应该记下它的位置和大小(将其与豌豆、葡萄或高尔夫球进行比较)。
If a lump changes size or texture rapidly, get it checked.
如果肿块的大小或质地迅速变化,请去检查。
6. The Rib Check (Weight)
6. 肋骨检查(体重)
Obesity is a massive health crisis for our pets.
肥胖是我们宠物面临的巨大健康危机。
It shortens their lifespan and ruins their joints.
它会缩短它们的寿命并毁坏它们的关节。
Stand over your pet and look down. You should see a defined waist tucked in behind the ribs.
站在你的宠物上方往下看。你应该看到肋骨后面有明显的腰部收束。
Run your hands along their ribcage.
沿着它们的胸腔抚摸。
You should be able to feel the ribs easily with light pressure, like running your fingers over the back of your hand.
你应该能轻轻用力就摸到肋骨,就像用手指摸你的手背一样。
If you have to press hard to find bone, your pet might be overweight.
如果你必须用力按才能摸到骨头,你的宠物可能超重了。
If you can see the ribs clearly from a distance, they might be underweight.
如果你从远处就能清晰地看到肋骨,它们可能体重过轻。
7. Heart and Lungs
7. 心脏和肺部
Place your hand on the left side of their chest, just behind the elbow.
把手放在它们胸部左侧,就在肘部后面。
Feel the heartbeat. It should be strong and steady.
感受心跳。它应该是强有力且稳定的。
Count the beats for 15 seconds and multiply by four to get their rate.
数15秒的跳动次数,然后乘以4得到心率。
While you are there, watch their chest rise and fall.
在那儿的时候,观察它们胸部的起伏。
Breathing should be effortless and quiet.
呼吸应该是轻松且安静的。
If they are abdominal breathing (using their stomach muscles to push air out), that is a sign of respiratory distress.
如果它们是腹式呼吸(用腹部肌肉推动空气排出),那是呼吸窘迫的迹象。
Zone 3: The Rear and Mobility
区域 3:后部和灵活性
We are heading to the back of the bus now.
现在我们检查到后面了。
These areas are often neglected because pets can be sensitive about their paws and rear ends.
这些区域经常被忽视,因为宠物可能对触碰爪子和屁股比较敏感。
8. Paws and Nails
8. 爪子和指甲
Lift each paw and look between the toes.
抬起每只爪子,检查脚趾之间。
This is a prime hiding spot for burrs, thorns, and ticks.
这里是芒刺、荆棘和蜱虫的主要藏身之处。
In the summer, hot pavement can burn paw pads; in the winter, salt can crack them.
夏天,滚烫的路面会烫伤肉垫;冬天,融雪盐会使肉垫开裂。
Check the pads for cuts or excessive dryness.
检查肉垫是否有割伤或过度干燥。
Look at the nails. If they are clicking on the floor, they are too long.
看看指甲。如果它们在地上发出咔嗒声,那就太长了。
Long nails can change the geometry of the foot and cause long-term joint pain.
指甲过长会改变足部受力结构,引起长期的关节疼痛。
Don't forget the dewclaw (the thumb) higher up on the leg!
别忘了腿上位置较高的狼趾(拇指)!
Since it doesn't touch the ground, it doesn't wear down naturally and can grow into the skin.
因为它不接触地面,无法自然磨损,可能会长进肉里。
9. The "Under the Tail" Check
9. “尾巴下面”的检查
Okay, it’s not the most glamorous part of the job.
好吧,这不是最光鲜的工作。
But as responsible pet parents, we have to look.
但作为负责任的宠物主人,我们必须看。
Lift the tail and check the anus and surrounding area.
抬起尾巴,检查肛门和周围区域。
It should be clean and free of matting.
那里应该干净且没有毛发结块。
If you see what looks like grains of rice, those are likely tapeworm segments.
如果你看到像米粒一样的东西,那很可能是绦虫节片。
Check for redness or swelling, which could indicate anal gland issues.
检查是否有红肿,这可能预示着肛门腺问题。
If your dog has been scooting on the carpet, this is the area that needs attention.
如果你的狗狗在在地毯上蹭屁股,这就是需要关注的区域。
10. Mobility and Mood
10. 灵活性和情绪
The final point isn't something you touch, but something you observe.
最后一点不是靠摸,而是靠观察。
Watch your pet move.
观察你的宠物移动。
Do they hesitate before jumping into the car or onto the bed?
它们跳上车或上床前会犹豫吗?
Are they slow to get up after a nap?
睡醒后它们起身缓慢吗?
Stiffness is often the first sign of arthritis, even in younger dogs.
僵硬通常是关节炎的早期迹象,即使在年轻狗狗身上也是如此。
Also, consider their mood.
另外,考虑一下它们的情绪。
Are they as playful as usual? Are they hiding more often?
它们像往常一样爱玩吗?它们是不是更频繁地躲起来?
A sudden change in behavior is often the only way animals tell us they are in pain.
行为的突然改变通常是动物告诉我们它们处于疼痛中的唯一方式。
When to Call the Professionals
何时寻求专业帮助
You’ve completed the 10-point check. Great job!
你已经完成了10点检查。干得好!
Most of the time, you will find a happy, healthy animal.
大多数时候,你会发现一只快乐、健康的动物。
But what if you find something weird?
但如果你发现了奇怪的东西怎么办?
Here at My Core Pick, we always advise: "When in doubt, reach out."
在 My Core Pick,我们总是建议:“如果有疑问,就去咨询。”
If you find a rapidly growing lump, see the vet.
如果你发现生长迅速的肿块,去看兽医。
If you notice sudden weight loss, see the vet.
如果你注意到体重突然下降,去看兽医。
Any changes in eating, drinking, or bathroom habits are immediate red flags.
饮食、饮水或排泄习惯的任何变化都是紧急的危险信号。
This home check is not a substitute for professional veterinary care.
这种家庭检查不能替代专业的兽医护理。
It is a tool to help you provide better information to your vet.
这是一个帮助你向兽医提供更好信息的工具。
Final Thoughts
结语
The bond we share with our pets is incredible.
我们与宠物之间的纽带是不可思议的。
By taking five minutes a week to perform this "Snout to Tail" exam, you are deepening that bond.
每周花五分钟进行这种“从头到尾”的检查,你正在加深这种纽带。
You are telling your pet that you have their back.
你在告诉你的宠物,你有在守护它们。
You become familiar with what is "normal" for them, so you can instantly spot when something is "abnormal."
你会熟悉它们的“正常”状态,这样你就能立即发现什么时候是“不正常”的。
Grab some treats, call your furry friend over, and give it a try today.
拿些零食,叫上你的毛茸茸的朋友,今天就试试吧。
It’s the best investment you can make in their long-term happiness.
这是你能为它们长期幸福所做的最好投资。
Do you have a routine for checking your pet’s health? Let us know in the comments below!
你有检查宠物健康的习惯吗?在下面的评论中告诉我们吧!